In this column I thought I would share with you some of the reasons I really like to tie flies, so here goes.
• I get to buy some really cool fly tying tools, from my tying vises to my bodkins. I really like how they feel. Some of the tools are ridiculously expensive, but if I take good care of them, they will last for years.
• It is a good feeling to finish up a batch of flies. It feels like I am being productive and accomplishing a goal.
• When I head down to my little fly tying room it seems like I am escaping from the real world. Along that same line, tying gives me time to daydream. My mind can wander to the places I might be going or where I have already been.
• I don’t consider myself an artist by any means; however, when I am tying flies I can pretend to be artistic. I enjoy the opportunity to be creative in my preferred medium of hooks, thread, feathers, hair, foam, dubbing, etc.
• It has been really cool to share my passion for tying with others, whether through publications like this, social media, YouTube videos, or with my buddies at Laughing Trout. I have met so many nice people throughout this journey.
• I am always on the lookout for new fly patterns to learn. It is a fun challenge to figure out how to tie those flies or how to tweak the pattern to please my eye.
• Fly tying is a lifelong pursuit. I have learned a lot since I first started tying and there will always be more to learn.
• Most of all, I love to tie flies that fish will eat. Nothing is better than watching a fish come up and sip in my size 18 BWO Special dry fly.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or if there is anything that I can do to help you with your fly tying journey.
Paul Johnson (Paulwaconia@gmail.com)